How Technology is Helping to Strengthen Mental Health?
How Technology Has Changed Mental Healthcare –
Not so long ago, smartphones, apps, and FaceTime seemed futuristic. Before technology tools were so readily available, face-to-face visits and phone calls were the options for connecting with mental healthcare providers. With ever-evolving tech, access to mental healthcare has changed and avenues have increased.
In addition to person-to-person interactions, people seeking mental health support have options including online therapy: visiting with a licensed mental health professional, such as a therapist or counselor, using a smartphone, computer, or tablet. Technology-based mental health support opportunities include texting with therapists or crisis lines, using apps to manage mental wellness, visiting with professionals on telehealth platforms, participating in online support groups, and wearing trackers or smartwatches for wellness tracking. Technology has made mental healthcare more accessible and affordable.
If you or a loved one have mental health concerns, please reach out to a licensed mental health professional for help and support.
Advantages of Technology-Based Mental Healthcare –
There are numerous benefits of tech-based mental healthcare, including:
- Convenience: Online therapy is a convenient way to get support from a licensed mental health professional. Help is available from the comfort of your own familiar surroundings. Online therapy eliminates travel time and offers flexibility for scheduling.
- Reaching more people: With technology-based mental health support, more people may get the help they need. With more options for mental healthcare comes better accessibility for those who might not otherwise reach out for or be able to secure help.
- Affordability: Online mental healthcare can be affordable, making it more accessible.
- Availability: Tech-based mental healthcare can offer ease and availability. In some cases, support is available 24/7. For instance, the ability to text a crisis hotline at any time has the potential to strengthen mental health and even save lives.
- Extra support: Monitoring apps, tracking devices, and online resources can offer an extra layer of support to those living with a mental health disorder or those who want to strengthen or sustain their mental wellness.
- Self-care: With apps, tracking devices, and online resources, there are a variety of helpful tools for self-care.
- Accessibility: Online services can make mental healthcare more accessible. For instance, with more options, more people may be apt to seek support, the wait to speak with a mental healthcare professional may be shorter, convenient appointments may be more readily available, and hesitation to seek help due to fear, embarrassment, or stigma may decrease.
Ways to Use Technology for Mental Health Support –
There are many options for supporting mental health through the use of technology, such as:
- Online therapy: with a smartphone, computer, or laptop, affordable, effective therapy with a licensed mental health professional can be just a few clicks away.
- Symptom tracking: with apps and smartphones, symptom tracking can be streamlined. Monitoring symptoms can help support mental health. The awareness of how you feel and the circumstances surrounding your behaviors, thoughts, and feelings can help you support your mental health.
- Treatment tracking: If you are undergoing treatment, apps can help. For instance, if you are taking medications, apps and phone reminders can help you keep a regular dosing schedule, remind you of refill times, and help you track how you feel on the medicine.
- Self-management: Tracking devices, such as smartwatches, fitness trackers, and apps can help you monitor your wellness and behavior. Healthy sleep, nutrition, and exercise, which can easily be tracked, are all important for strong mental health.
- Self-care: Technology can be used for various methods of self-care, such as practicing deep breathing, guided meditation, journaling, and organizational strategies, all of which have been shown to support mental wellness.
- Online support groups: Reputable online support groups can offer individuals a helpful community for sharing similar experiences and offering support and input.
- Educational sites and podcasts: Many people find that knowledge is power. Trusted websites and podcasts can offer helpful information for strengthening mental health.
Finding Support for Mental Health Through Tech –
With technology, there is greater access to mental health support. When using technology, it is always a good idea to be sure your sources and tools are reputable. Check with a trusted healthcare provider and look into important issues such as data privacy, confidentiality, credentials, and transparency. New innovations can help you strengthen, support, monitor, and better understand your mental health.
Author Bio –
Marie Miguel has been a writing and research expert for nearly a decade, covering a variety of health- related topics. Currently, she is contributing to the expansion and growth of a free online mental health resource with MyTherapist.com. With an interest and dedication to addressing stigmas associated with mental health, she continues to specifically target subjects related to anxiety and depression.